Sunday, July 11, 2010

Brakes and Struts

I like my car. It's 10 years old - Honda Civic Year 2000 - It's been my little baby - was given birth when I gave birth to the practice of medicine 10 years ago.



Yes, I could be driving some fancy Beamer or Mercedes...but having a fancy car doesn't go well with my sticker to express my love for cats...



Well...my car has close to 150,000 miles on it and has never broken down on me (can't say that for the fancy cars...) This past week though I noticed the brakes pedal was weak...I had to push down on the brakes - all the way down - for my car to slow down and stop. Not only that, the car was "slightly shaking" while in the stopping process...Worse yet, I don't recall the last time I had new brakes for this car...

I dread taking cars to the Dealership for Car Service...because they charge you an arm and a leg...even if you got only One leg they would still take the other one and place you in a permanent wheelchair...

So I took my car instead to GookYear Tires and Service...

Yeah they are not the dealer so I expected Cheaper Price Services...

Well...Here are the Services done:


And Here is the BILL I paid:





OK...$800 Bucks! Just for Brakes and some struts whatever that is...

I came home and looked up the Kelley Blue Book Value for my Car. My car is only in Gook Condition:



Why Do I feel I was just financially raped?

18 comments:

  1. BWAHAHAHAHA!! sorry, not funny. but... BWAHAHAHAHA!! U COULD HAVE saved yourself the student loans and just become a MECHANIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $80 BUCKS AN HOUR was the Labor Charge...

    What is this...a Union?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is because you had 2 different service done.. if it was break it would be around 400-500$ standard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah well it started with Only the Brakes...First Quote was $900+ for "High Quality" brakes, drums, etc...

    I told them $900 was pricey for brake work so the NEXT quote was $650 for brakes - so I said "OK".

    Then while they were working on the car I got a phone call that the Struts need to be replaced.

    First Quote for "High Quality" Replacement Struts was $600.

    I told them it was kinda pricey...so they said they can just replace the Front Struts only...

    So I said I'm willing to pay MAXIMUM $800 including Tax.

    So they somehow got the bill to be $800 Flat including Tax

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, you have gone years and many miles without doing any work on your car, count yourself very lucky! will you be buying another honda civic next time around?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking about Going Green next time and get a 10-speed bicycle

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have AAA (auto club) I HIGHLY advise.. ONLY using their AAA approved shops. They are the ONLY ones.. guaranteed NOT to rip you off. It's VERY difficult to maintain the AAA shop status. In our city of two million.. we have ONE AAA approved shop. Guess where we go? YEP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok now even I will get an AAA membership! BTW, shouldnt you make FOC post without using the ANON feature?

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi medina..nice to see you...haha...i am anonymous. nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what you paid is about right. Stop complaining and enjoy the more comfortable ride now that had your struts replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was off enjoying myself.. so.. take this as a very expensive lesson learned.. and find out WHERE the triple A (AAA) approved shop is.. in YOUR area.. tomorrow. And, if you've not joined AAA.. take a peek at them.. their insurance is usually less expensive.. than any other company... so long as you have a good driving record.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAA also is good when you need towing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its time for a new car!. You got your money's worth...

    ReplyDelete
  14. U got your money's worth out of that car... Time to buy another...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm! You could have bought a new Toyota for that money. Then you wouldn't have to worry about struts and brakes. The new ones come complete with none of them. Oh Yeah, the sticker about the cat didn't help your case either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine's a 2005 Camry, and have had no probs w/ it, however, I baby my brakes. Back when I owned a '90 Ford Taurus, I recall getting about the same work you did, less the struts. Firestone charged me between $6-700 and that was probably around 1996 - when labor was "only" about $60 p/hr.!
    We belong to AAA, & I didn't know to look for approved shops, so thanks from me, too, Momma B.!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Iggy.... that is a very good price for the work and the parts you had installed. I paid 700 dollars last fall to have my entire brake system replaced because I let someone who did not know how to do it replace only the brake shoes.. that led to the 700 dollar repair at the dealership. Trust me .. if you have not experienced a locked up brake or no brakes at all.. that is cheap my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have a Honda Accord with 150,000 miles. This one Good Year repair shop told me that I needed struts years ago. I never got them changed, and my car is doing just fine. I usually get brakes replaced for about $200 at a trustworthy mechanic that was recommended to us several years ago. When I ask him to check the shocks and struts, he says they are fine. I can give you his name if you want.

    ReplyDelete